How to rock boat shoes without looking like a preppy loser
Boat shoes have long been associated with preppy style. And while they can definitely give off a preppy vibe, there are ways to wear them without looking like a total douchebag. Here are a few tips:
1. Don’t wear them with socks. This is a surefire way to look like a preppy loser. instead, roll up the bottoms of your pants or wear them with shorts.
2. Go for a more relaxed style. Boat shoes are often seen as being very polished and put-together. But you can avoid looking like a preppy tool by opting for a more relaxed style. For example, choose a pair that’s a little scuffed up or go for a boat shoe with a more casual lace-up style.
3. Avoid the nautical look. You don’t want to look like you just stepped off a yacht, so avoid pairing your boat shoes with other nautical-inspired pieces like stripes or Anchor prints.
4. Add a touch of edge. To avoid looking like a preppy clone, add a touch of edge to your look. For example, pair your boat shoes with ripped jeans or a leather jacket.
5. Keep the rest of your look simple. boat shoes can be a bit of a statement piece, so you don’t want to go overboard with your outfit. Stick to simple pieces and let your shoes be the star of the show.